Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Good Things

Two years ago I freaked out and was hospitalized for eleven days, where I freaked out some more. As I started getting better, I became obsessed with trying to figure out what my freaky thoughts meant. That persisted on and off until just now, sitting here eating my lunch, playing Scrabble on my phone, and thinking about my work day, I realized that it doesn't matter. Those thoughts led me toward chaos and hell. Why relive that again over and over in my mind?

No, what I should relive over and over and over in my mind are those thoughts that are good, pure, lovely, happy, funny, true, freeing, hopeful, pure. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."  -- Philippians 4:8, ESV

In Romans 12, Paul also directs us to "be transformed by the renewal of [our] minds." Think good things and allow God to pour goodness into our lives.

At work we've been consistently sharing "Good Things" at the beginning of all of our meetings. Although not every meeting is as riveting as my trips to the dentist, I leave each meeting feeling better than I did before we implemented "Good Things." Good begets good. Complaining stifles. It spreads like wildfire, but it stifles hope.

I need to hope.

I prefer to hope in what is good.
I long to trust in God's goodness.
I hope for you to seek the same.

Love,
Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Lynn, I enjoyed reading this! Chris and I were just resolving to dwell more on the good things this year, to be intentional in seeing and pursuing the good in situations and people. Thanks for sharing your journey on that same road. It's encouraging! Love, Summer

    ReplyDelete